HP LaserJet M5035xs MFP English Printing System
Purpose of this document
This document provides specific installation instructions and other information you should know before you install and use the printing-system software. The installation instructions are for the following operating systems:
* Windows® 2000
* Windows® XP
For instructions for Macintosh OS components or other systems, see the associated install notes, readme files, or other device information for that system. For more information about the device and printer-driver features, see the HP LaserJet M5025/M5035 Series MFP User Guide and the online help included with each software component.
Who needs this software?
All users require this printing-system software. Network clients need the installation CD, or the name of the appropriate network directory, to install the software on their individual workstations.
In a Windows environment, the CD setup or installation software detects the version of the operating system that you are running. The software is installed in the language that you select. For example, if you are running an English version of Windows and have the language preference set to Spanish, the installation utility installs the Spanish version of the printing software for the appropriate Windows version.
The following methods are available for installing printer drivers and software components.
* Basic - This method installs the minimum set of drivers and software, which includes the PCL 6 driver and screen fonts. This method is recommended for servers or computers in a network environment.
* Custom - This method installs the user-selected set of drivers and software to provide more flexibility. This method is recommended for advanced users and administrators.
Installation of Software on Windows 2000 and Windows XP Systems
NOTE: Connecting the device to the computer before installing software, also called "Plug and Play," is not recommended. See the getting started guide for more information.
NOTE: Administrator privileges are required to install the printing system onto a Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating system.
Printing-system installation from the CD or Internet download (Recommended)
1. Quit all programs.
2. Insert the CD.
1. When the main menu appears, click Install Printer.
2. Follow the onscreen instructions.
3. If the HP printing-system installer program has not started after 30 seconds, complete steps 4 through 8.
4. On the Start menu, select Run.
5. Browse to the root directory for the CD drive.
6. Select the SETUP.EXE file. Click Open and click OK.
7. When the main menu appears, click Install Printer.
8. Follow the onscreen instructions.
NOTE: If you download the printing-system electronically and are using Web files, you need to first run the EXE file(s). If SETUP.EXE does not run automatically, browse to its root location, double-click the file, and follow the onscreen instructions.
Printer driver only (Plug and Play, USB)
1. Quit all programs.
2. Connect the printer to the Windows computer.
3. Answer the questions in the Found New Hardware Wizard until you reach the screen that shows the device manufacturer list.
4. Click Have Disk.
5. Use one of the following options to browse to the printer-driver:
* On the printing-system software CD, browse to the appropriate \\DRIVERS\\ directory for your operating system and language.
* For an Internet download, browse to the folder where the Web files were downloaded and decompressed.
6. Select the appropriate .INF file.
7. Click Open and click OK.
8. Select the appropriate printer.
9. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the printer installation. The printer driver is copied to the hard disk and added to the list of installed printers.
When the installation process is complete, you might need to assign the device to a port on your network if you did not assign a port during setup. Perform the following procedure:
1. Click Start, select Settings, and then select Printers.
2. Select the printer that you just installed.
3. On the toolbar, click File.
4. Click Properties.
5. the Port tab to change the port information.
Starting the Uninstaller:
1. In the HP LaserJet M5025/M5035 program group, click the HP LaserJet M5025/M5035 uninstall icon.
2. Follow the onscreen instructions to remove some or all of the printing-system components.
NOTE: For HP MFP Send Fax driver, delete the device icon from the Printers folder (Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003).
NOTE: For printer-driver-only (Add Printer/New Driver) installations, delete the device icon from the Printers folder (Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003).
NOTE: To uninstall the HP Easy Printer Care software only, select Add Remove Programs.